Our Her story
The Epsilon Kappa chapter of TBΣ was founded at UCLA on June 2, 1973. Lead by faculty advisor Dr. Maureen Hooper and our big sister chapter at ASU (Sigma, now inactive), members Carrie Card, Rita Jensen, Jean Lake, Cynthia Morse, Gayle Von Mizener, and Tamela Tyler laid the foundation for a sisterhood that has now served UCLA for over 45 years.
The first practical idea for establishing a “band sorority” for college and university bandswomen came about during the spring semester of 1939. Wava Banes, along with two of her classmates (Emily SoRelle and Ruth La Nell Williams), took the idea to director D.O. Wiley of the Texas Technological College Band. The idea, patterned after Kappa Kappa Psi, began to come together the following semester and resulted in the campus organization Tau Beta Sigma. Much like the Fraternity, Tau Beta Sigma’s purpose at Tech was to serve as an honorary service and leadership recognition society, but was designed especially to provide the important additional social, educational, and other positive experiences needed by women in the band. The fledgling organization petitioned for recognition as an official campus organization from Dean of Women Mary Doak in spring 1940.